Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wheat Free is Alright By Me

So, Jack the dog has (thankfully)calmed down the past few days, but we have discovered a horrible thing in regards to the dog Jack. He is allergic to wheat. Now this doesn't seem like a horrible thing until you realize that the Doggie Cake that is named after said Jack (Jack Snacks) is in fact, made of whole wheat flour. Ohhh the irony. We took him to the vet after a horrible ear infection and one of our lovely vets, Dr. Jude, at Sheabel said that this could be a possibility and that I shouldn't 'allow' Jack to eat his own dog treats. I must say I was a little heartbroken and a little skeptical; it could really be anything like cheese, his best friend Ben the cat or just a freak ear thingy. So we went through the whole steroid thing, antibiotics, hair shaving and hundreds of dollars later he was much better. Although the steroids brought out a whole new side of the dog Jack that I don't wish to repeat EVER again. So last week, I happened to bring some Jack Snacks home from the bakeshoppe and the dog Jack just happened to sneak two off the table while my back was turned. Honest Dr. Jude if you happen to be reading this, I did not give them freely. The dog Jack is uber-sneaky for 100 lbs. Literally, the very next day bad things started to happen and we are back to an 'almost' hot spot. Dr. Jude was right and I now have a ginormous golden bear with allergies who can no longer eat the dog treat that is named after him. So, I am creating new treats that will be available this weekend for us doggy parents with sensitive pooches. There will be no wheat anywhere. The wonderful people at Sheabel tell me Golden Retrievers are prone to every known disease. Which works out perfectly since I am absolutely addicted to the breed?!! I remember when I was young, we always had animals everywhere; dogs, cats, turtles, hamsters and even a baby deer once who locked my grandmother in her wood shed, but she doesn't like that to be discussed. Those animals lived outside and we fed them whatever; they lived forever and never had any issues. Now I have a pooch who can't ingest wheat without swelling up like a balloon, but I digress. The morale of this story is that BabyCakes Cupcakes will now offer wheat-free and wheat-full treats at the shoppe in an attempt to stave off large vet bills for myself and others.

Peace & Love,
T

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Poor Jack. I'm just glad you found the cause of his problems. He thanks you for his special new treats. You're such a good mommy!

Stephanie said...

Who knew!? Unbelievable. Glad Jack, the uber-sneaky-for-100-lbs. pup, is on the mend.

Having spent upwards of $2K in vet bills over the years on my pound kitty with chronic renal failure, I also know from experience that beloved pets can be verrrrrrry expensive. But I believe they know they are loved that much more for our efforts, and they return that love tenfold in cuteness and quirky habits that let us know their appreciation (i.e., my cat fetches things reliably). :)